Saturday, October 15, 2005

we're not gonna pay rent!

So I took a listen to the movie soundtrack for "Rent" and of course couldn't help to compare it with the Broadway recording. I feel the movie's orchestration and instruments drown out the vocals. I mean Rosario Dawson has a nice voice, but I had a hard time hearing her above the music. Don't know if the weird sound is caused by my boombox that I got in 1991; I don't own a fancy stereo surround sound system ek-ek, but they need to fix the sound.

I do miss Daphne Ruben-Vega on this soundtrack. Her Mimi had so much more power, depth, emotion, rawness, spunk, and grit, for my taste.

Overall, the music still moved me.

3 Comments:

At 10/16/2005 9:12 PM, Blogger Mur said...

I'm a little worried that I won't like it because of Rosario Dawson.

 
At 10/17/2005 12:29 AM, Blogger It's just me said...

do you not like her in general? I've not seen any of her work, but her voice is somewhat decent, kinda nice, but she ain't no Daphne!

I mean I thought "Phantom" was flat, yo! Hope "Rent" is more like the magic of "Chicago."

 
At 10/17/2005 6:14 PM, Blogger Mur said...

It's not that I don't like her. It's just Daphne's voice cannot be replaced

 

Post a Comment

<< Home