Friday, October 07, 2005

lowdown on the breakdown

Yesterday, right after work, I went with Bancy to her friends' condo by the Haight for a photo shoot. I used them as models for my current Graphic Design 3 class project, a book. I took photos for about two hours and by the time I got home, I ate my food that I ordered take out from Tu Lan on the way home. I finally debuted the bowl from CostPlus World Market.

I knew that this Thursday night would not differ from the previous Thursday nights so far this semester. I knew I'd stay up until either 4am or 6am working on the book so I could present something for critique.

As I'm chugging along with things, around midnight is when I feel real tired. Hmm, "shake it off," I thought. I knew too well that the amount of time I needed wasn't enough to finish anything by morning, but I kept working. Unfortunately, the rest of the week caught up with me. The average time I went to bed this week was 1am. For the first time I gave up working all night; I climbed in to bed at around 3:30am. My eyes hurt, my brain shut down, my body gave up. It was just a matter of time when this moment would come.

"I'll get up at 6am and continue working," I said to myself when I closed my eyes.

I don't know how many times my hand hit that snooze button, but I wound up just turning off the alarm. I missed work, and by the time I woke up for real a little after noon, I missed the first hour of class already. My class lets out at 6pm, and by 4pm, I finally finished, or felt comfortable enough with what I made up for the book to show teacher, that I finally left my apartment.

I decided to pick up a parcel at the Post Office, and with the slow line there, it took about fifteen minutes until I finally got out. Next order of business: pick up cologne that Kristina's boyfriend bought for me with his discount at Nordie's. Kristina's condo is on 19th Avenue between Moraga/Lawton. I took Sunset Boulevard as an alternate route because 19th usually seems like a parking lot around the time of my drive. Unfortunately, the city blocked off Sunset Blvd's two right lanes to use as a parking lot for guests of the golf championship. According to Kristina, people park their car on the far right and a shuttle uses the middle lane to pick up and drop off. So more time wasted there.

After seeing Kristina for a hot second, off to class I went. Thank goodness Roomie called me on my way to class because I needed to vent about what happened the last 24 hours.

My teacher talked to me about my book during the last hour of class; she met with several other students at that time one on one. She said she wrote me down for two absences, which I agreed to. Right at the end, she returned the first project from several of weeks ago, the "box of stereotypes." I guess I fared better than I thought: B+, but at the same time I felt like fuck, I was so close to at least an A-. So now I have mixed feelings about it. I mean she really does have her favorites in the class, so I'm also jealous of them, those A'ers. Anyways, that's what I get for working full time and going to school. Something's gotta give.

1 Comments:

At 10/07/2005 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i heard that girl bancy can be a total bitch. she needs to get a girl, or somethin'.

good for you for finally giving in to sweet blissful rest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home