Saturday, October 22, 2005

...thanks for calling...

I retrieved voicemail messages from Roomie saying he's on his way down from Sac and that he bought tickets for a Terence McNally playe called "Crucifixion" (bad review, good review) and asked if I wanted to go see it.

My dilemma: sleep, or go to dinner with Ludwig's Mom while she's in town from Portland, or go see this play. I leaned more toward dinner with LM, because on I rather see her for dinner than the Annual Dive Bar Pub Crawl schedule for all day Saturday.

I went with Roomie since I'd get another opportunity to see LM on Saturday. I felt so sleepy that instead of eating dinner with him before the show, I attempted to sleep in my car. I think I got some sleep, but during the show, I kept yawning, but I guess not sleepy enough to miss the show.

Now this play, like some other of Terence McNally plays contained total frontal male nudity. Roomie kept defending it, saying it's a convention of a "certain" theatrical genre. I kept thinking it's all phooey because I really didn't think it was necessary.

Then today, he complained about one part of the play when one of the characters "overly" acted drunk. He said that you don't have to act like you're drunk to play drunk. And I'm like hello, that's what acting's all about, and he complains about that, when you can't tell if someone's character is drunk unless they act it, right? He said that the audience can use their imagination for a drunk character, so I countered with, "well, can't the audience imagine someone naked too, or have the director come up with a way to give the illusion that someone's naked? They can do that you know!"

He was speechless. HA!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home