Sunday, October 23, 2005

eat this

Before Roomie left on Saturday, we ate brunch at a Giliginich restaurant in San Bruno called "Kuya's Asian Cuisine." My classmate Jems told me about it and raved about the food. He also said it's not as "ghetto" as most other Filipino restaurants.

Kuya's did attempt to make the dining area look nice, with the nice color scheme for paint, wicker artifacts hung on the wall, dark wood for tables and chairs, and other ek-ek, not like Ongpin.

The food wasn't bad, we ate Sitaw kalabas sa gata and Sisig, along with his fish breakfast dish.

One thing that ALL Filipino restaurants do share is the SLOW-ass service. I mean there's like 50 people working at the restaurant, and they all stand or mill around behind the pay counter in the back. They hardly look up to see if you're waving your hand to get their attention for: more water, to get a to-go box, to get the check, ek-ek. And it's not like people are standing and waiting for tables too, I mean this place was only 1/3 to capacity.

I guess as Roomie would say, "it's a cultural convention."

3 Comments:

At 10/23/2005 9:33 AM, Blogger Lena said...

I've never been to a Filipino restaurant. I have been to one with help like that though lol.

 
At 10/28/2005 2:29 PM, Blogger bev said...

someone told me that Ongpin actually owns Kuya's....

try Patio Filipino in Millbrae; it's pretty good and the restaurant looks really nice!

 
At 10/31/2005 9:32 AM, Blogger It's just me said...

lena, i don't know if there are any in your area, more reason for u to visit the bay area, lol

--

bev, thanks for the recommendation. i did recognize a couple of folks who used to work at ongpin, and the menu/food prep looks very very similar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home