Monday, November 07, 2005

so, "sin"

In an old episode of SNL, the Church Lady "inadvertently" calls Sean Penn "Sin," instead of "Sean" back when he was a "bad boy."

Hooked up with my best friend from senior year in high school, "Sin" on Sunday. We reconnected a year ago after so many years of not hearing from one another. I basically never looked back when I graduated from high school. The majority of my pre-college school days were very unhappy for me. I started to feel comfort in my own skin when I started senior year high school. I hung out with Sin, he was my good friend. He was a very creative and kooky guy who introduced me to so many different things; both legal and not so legal. He's the reason why I had so much fun that last year. I even convinced my family to let him stay in our house for a few months. It was weird, I never had "real" friends like that; I lacked social abilities.

He called me out of the blue in November '04, around the same time when I reconnected with other folks like Ashley and Idante. For many years I avoided contact with him. When I heard that he'd come by my parents' house looking for me, I freaked out. I felt that my me-ness didn't agree with his religious beliefs. He made a comment way back when about how a certain group of people ("my kind of people") should be shot and killed. That killed me inside.

Who knew that more than ten years later, after he calls me to see if I wanted to hang out to catch up, and then I hesitantly agreed to, that the years changed him. I could actually open up and he accepted the real me, like it was no big deal. Big sigh of relief. The caffeine-driven talkative man that I met up with at Starbucks now ran his own business, got married, had a son, had big ambitions. He even got taller than me. Who knew?

Now a year later, and we reconnect once again through MySpace. He still has the ambitious business goals, but his personal life had some major bumps. It's good to see him still smiling and charging on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home