Wednesday, November 30, 2005

the interview

I submitted my resume last Monday for a graphic designer position at this place. I only found out about the position a few days before the Monday deadline, so scrambled to put a resume together. I didn't plan on looking for a job yet, until after the semester ended, because the last project in my Graphic Design III class is to produce a portfolio.

The hiring folks called me this past Monday to schedule an interview for this morning. Originally I scheduled a Tuesday afternoon meeting, but called them back right away to re-schedule me because I certainly don't have a portfolio ready. All I have right now are crappy student work anyway. The good thing was that they said a CD presentation would suffice. That's good news because to reprint my work would cost major $.

I stayed up until about 4am last night to create the CD with jpegs of my stuff, and once I got that done, I turned my attention to creating a case for it. That took another hour because my body desperately wanted to sleep, and my brain said, "enough!" But anyway, I came up with some crappy case, but whatever. At that point I even contemplated just submitting the CD in one of those paper cases with the plastic window.

I made sure to tell myself to wake up when the alarm went off, no matter how tired, so I didn't use earplugs for ny "nap."

I didn't feel nervous, but I felt a little stressed. I figured I had nothing to lose, and everything to gain. I even think that they only conducted interviews to abide by some laws stating you must interview x amount of folks in order to fill this position. I mean they've had someone working the position temporarily for six months now, and I'm sure they want to keep that person, but in order to hire him/her, they needed to post the position, and then show that they interviewed other candidates. I know this procedure all too well ;-)

Anyway, so yeah, I am looking for a graphic design job.

2 Comments:

At 11/30/2005 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kuya-thought you weren't looking till after you graduated...silly me! Next time I see something similar I'll zap it right over to you! :p

 
At 12/01/2005 7:50 AM, Blogger Kurt said...

I think you're right about some organizations needing to post and interview for jobs, particularly public institutions. But at least you're getting some interview practice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home