Thursday, November 24, 2005

we are gonna pay RENT

Saw the screen version of "Rent" earlier tonight with Roomie. The viewing experience wasn't how I thought, since Ashley proposed months ago that we should see it together, Samandy also wanted to see it with me, but they went to the preview screening last week. But I love love love love this movie!

The migration from stage to screen was an absolute success. It felt at home on screen as it did on stage, much like "Chicago." The entire cast gave knock-out performances. I was so relieved that the x-factors Rosario Dawson (Mimi) and Tracie Thoms (Joanne) kicked major ass with their characters. The only one I can't give mad props to was Adam Pacal's Roger. His performance felt a little stiff and lacking in something, but that's just my opinion, oh and that hair had to go, and i didn't like the way he tweaked his voice, and did i mention he felt stiff? But he was good otherwise.

Amazing movie!

"Tango Maureen" and "Over the Moon" stood out especially as most memorable scenes.

Hey Mad props to SF's own Sixth St. between Market and Mission, the first area we lived in when we came to America. I looked for the Tu Lan sign, but missed it.

The movie takes you all over the place. The strength of the music and the characters really draw you in. For the longest time I feared that it fall flat like "Phantom of the Opera" did, and I wasn't impressed with the trailers for "Rent." The only thing flat tonight was the audience reaction. I expected more electricity from the Kabuki Theater crowd, like some clapping here and there, but they all watched in silence, well except for the laughter and the crying. Roomie and I wanted to catch the next showing, but we opted for dessert instead.

2 Comments:

At 11/24/2005 4:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rosario Dawson is always good!

 
At 11/24/2005 9:13 PM, Blogger Lena said...

I loved the movie too!! I might see it again with a friend who couldn't go with us the first time around. I'm already putting it on my list of dvd's to buy when it's released!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home