Thursday, July 13, 2006

summer internship

I'm working for a graphic design firm over in the East Bay until school starts in late August. I started on the Wednesday in the last week of June; worked for two days, then started up again July 5. The only time that I wasn't late, my schedule is 9am to 6pm, was the first day. For some reason, getting to work on time is a ridiculous issue for me. I was late while working for Wells Fargo, then for Knowledge Networks, then SFSU, and now. I manage to get my ass over to the office at around 9:20am, no matter how early or late I leave my place. Like today, I left at 8:30 but the Thursday traffic spoiled my plans for arriving on time. Whatever. Geez, even when I "interviewed" with the owner back in April, I was almost an hour late, although at that time, an accident on the freeway caused a massive delay.

The firm moved from their office that they shared with another company in Emeryville, right across from the Pixar studios to a loft about three blocks away from Jack London Square in Oakland. I only noticed the Pixar gate when I started working, for some reason, I failed to see it during the time I interviewed. That old place was a little cramped and covered with dog hair because my coworker brought his two dogs in the days when he worked, and another lady working for the other company brought her dog in every day.

The new office is right across from the Port of Oakland, where they load and unload those huge things that trucks tow onto freight ships. It's a very industrial area; that's an understatement. Right next to our building are three train tracks that get heavy train traffic all freakin day. The office is in the back of the building so we hear the horns and whistles and screeching metal. To top this off, the radio station we listen to all day, K101, plays some songs that I really like, but when a song is in heavy rotation, you absolutely start hating it. The station really likes their Kelly Clarkson, James Blunt, K.T. Tunstall (yuck!), Nick Lachey, plus all the other top 40 ek-ek. As I told Bancy earlier, my ears are practically bleeding by the end of the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home