Saturday, January 07, 2006

the last three weeks

I stopped blogging because when I detoxed, I guess part of that process was staying away from the computer. I closely associated my blogging and reading other blogs with me venting or needing to escape from my stress and other negativity that the horrible fall semester brought. I wound up with a stupid B+ from GD III. hateful, annoyed, angry.

I watched a few DVDs; I finally saw "Xanadu," a trippy movie...1980 at its best! Maybe the best way to enjoy this movie was to experience it in an altered state. There's always a next time! My sister in Arizona borrowed it when she went back, so I'll have to wait for that opportunity. The only reason why I bought the DVD: to see how the song "Magic" by Olivia appears in its natural environment. That's one of my karaoke standards everytime I go to Do Re Mi karaoke rooms in Japantown.

On December 23, the governor let us state employees out at noon, so Bancy, her friend, Roomie, and I watched "Brokeback Mountain." I didn't see what the big deal was, I mean yeah, Heath Ledger did a really great job with his role, but the perhaps the theatre we watched it in didn't have the best sound because I could barely understand anything they said. He mumbled his lines all throughout the film. Thank goodness his acting and body language allowed me to somewhat understand what happened on the screen.

Later on that evening, Roomie and I saw "Transamerica," with Felicity Huffman and Kevin Zegers, a Canadian actor (I'm seeing or discovering more and more folks in the entertainment business from Canada, what's up with that?). We originally intended to see "Brokeback" at another theatre with a better sound system, but we left ourselves open to other possibilities. I enjoyed this movie a lot more, as I connected with it because it was funny. Ms. Huffman did a fantastic job with her character, a transexual. Actually the other members of the cast delivered also. I do recommend this flick. I wanted to see it again, actually.

The day before we saw these movies, when the rain came down heavily. I exclaimed to Bancy that the rain feels so cool only when you're wearing the right gear, like the shoes. I felt so giddy when we went out to lunch, I felt like breaking into "Singin' in the Rain;" I actually did a couple of turns or Gene Kelly moves while walking on the sidewalk.

3 Comments:

At 1/08/2006 11:49 PM, Blogger Lena said...

I am so very glad you have started to blog again. I missed reading what you have to say! I haven't seen any of the movies that you mentioned but I do want to see Brokeback... I hear it's pretty good.

 
At 1/09/2006 10:07 AM, Blogger Kurt said...

Brokeback looks like an Oscar contender, which is always a bad sign.

 
At 1/10/2006 12:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! You missed a great time at Hooters - I think you would really have enjoyed seeing Nancy on the verge of purge!

Just glancing at your posts - sorry you got cake. But on the bright side ...erm...uhm... you're sacrifices now will surely reward you in the future, even if it means being in Sac. Did that sound like an optimistic fortune cookie or what?

Looking forward to reading about your new adventures in the Valley :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home