Monday, August 15, 2005

oh lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

Ashley introduced me to "Andalu" a few months ago over the phone. They hung out while I called Ashley and put Andalu on the phone with me. I'm generally very shy when meeting new people, but we managed to converse and keep ourselves entertained for a few minutes. Ashley kept insisting that I meet Andalu because he said we'd get along, so Ashley exchanged our phone numbers. So one day Andalu called me and we got to talking. I remember Ashley mentioning that Andalu was straight, but I figured he's in "transition," because why would a straight dude hang with Ashley, right? Andalu talks and sounds "gay" on the phone but he kept talking about going on friendster and myspace to meet/date girls. At this point, I figured that he probably really was straight but didn't know he was gay yet, or was really trying too hard to be straight.

So Andalu and I finally met in person last Friday night, we ate at El Farolito (yummy, total grub. order the quesadilla suiza!) on Mission St by 24th St. In person, he acts like the way he speaks, a smidge of effeminate, a little bit like a gay. He's a super nice guy, and he invited a friend named Will to join us at the restaurant. I find out a little later that Will is gay. So I'm really confused now. Why does Andalu know all these gay people? I get my answer via a couple of phone conversations with him later that night and also on Sunday night.

It's a sad story really. You gotta feel for someone who's misunderstood. He sometimes gets rejected by girls because they think he's gay! On the other hand, guys cruise and hit on him all the time...oh the irony! He understands why women distrust of men, because guys are pigs; he's experienced men's aggressive advances first-hand. The experience also gives him the upper hand on how to respect and treat women, but alas, it seems that women don't understand him as well; It's a vicious cycle.

Another thing he pointed out is that he sometimes needs to "butch it up" when he's with a bunch of straight guys in order to "fit in." Sigh, I know that feeling all too well. The whole situation just seems so bizarre to me. I've never met anyone with a story like Andalu's, but I truly think that the right girl is out there for him. Someone who likes Star Trek or Spiderman, someone who appreciates the fact that he speaks five languages including spanish, japanese, tagalog, etc., listens to hip hop...myspace, friendster

Yeah, I"m sure he sets off many people's gaydar, but now I'm thinking that perhaps there are more people like him out there, hmmm, come to think of it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home