Thursday, August 11, 2005

Goodbye, USA! Thanks for the memories.

My desire to live in either Paris or London gained more support two nights ago when my sister asked: "Why don't you go live in Europe somewhere?" The question came up after I mentioned my upcoming winter break trip at the end of this year to Dublin, Luzern, and hopefully Paris. Her desire for me to live in Europe was so they could have a reason to visit Europe and have a place to stay, lol.

Several factors in recent years brought on my own desire to relocate to Europe: 1. healthcare, 2. better schooling for the kids (as if, right? I mean Madonna raves on and on about that), I honestly can't remember the other reasons at the moment.

Also, at a recent staff meeting, when colleagues announced their vacation schedules, I reminisced about my experiences way back in 1991, traveling alone within a span of six months in western Europe. The fact that school, lack of funds, the ever increasing madness at work, and saving up all my vacation time for December/January gave me an even bigger craving to get away. Ah, sweet FREEDOM to travel, how you elude me.

I'm undecided about where I'd really like to live. I prefer Paris; I always felt comfortable there, had great experiences. London is only a choice because of the whole language thing. I really didn't like it there when I visited. Plus, I think their athletes are so much more obnoxious even than the Americans...hello, 4x100 men's relay squad?

My roommate's brother and wife live in Ireland, his sister's going for her masters degree in London, his uncle lives in Madrid, so he won't feel alone. I'd sorely miss my family though. Lots to think about for sure.

2 Comments:

At 8/11/2005 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Europe! Wow! That is huge news. Go for it! Have lots of good, clean fun! Maybe you can be the next Rick Steves--RpaulV's Travels in Europe!
God's peace be with you!

 
At 8/12/2005 10:08 AM, Blogger It's just me said...

Well this whole Europe thing won't happen, if it does, for another few years. So I'll be here for a while ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home