Friday, August 05, 2005

"if i ain't got you"

Wow, I'm listening to this amazing Alicia Keys song. It's been a while since I heard the song, and it sure brings back a ton of memories, and really just puts me in a "truly special place."

I find the sound of the song very unique, it's almost like a throwback to old old-school R & B, but of course possesses a very modern feel to it. (I really don't know musicology, so I won't even bother throwing in more technical terms re: musical forms, etc.) Then there's the video, which, aside from the dramatic aspects, takes me to another level because of her solo shots on the building roof playing the piano, singing at the steps with all the snow, and just the way it captures a feel of New York.

I associate the song with several people: 1. Pastris 2. Andelei 3. Jems

1. Pastris just came back from a month-long volunteer program in the Bahia region of Brazil...so welcome back! She returned a few days ago, and thought about how my former dance company Likha just flew down to Brazil for a dance festival in the same week.

Anyhaze, Pastris and I sang along to the song while driving; she'd use her deep monotone voice, and I'd attempt to sound like Alicia. Ah, the fun times.

2. I made Andelei re-play the song over and over this one time on his stereo when we hung out. He made a gesture with his finger, or hand simultaneously with the last deep stroke of the piano key.

3. Jems and I karaoke'd the song in Japantown as our DAI 425 classmates listened.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home