Friday, September 09, 2005

way past my bedtime

These things called "all-nighters" do weird things to a man. I fell victim to one Thursday night, or Friday morning, because of a design project of course. It's not that I waited til the last minute to start the damn thing, but usually my inspiration to move along with my projects don't come until the 11th hour, unfortunately. I did my research, checked out design books from the library, ordered design books from Amazon, did sketches, but a clear direction of where to take the design eluded me. Knowing that some of my classmates felt the same way I did, like freaking out, or stuck in a rut, or just plain struggling, comforted me a bit. I didn't feel so alone and isolated with the problems.

So the clock ticks; I assess my capabilities of whether I can finish at some point before dawn. Things don't look promising, and it's one of those moments where you want to go back in time with the knowledge you already gained from the dreadful experience and apply it from the get-go. At 6am, I decide that I need to sleep because I just didn't want to go without sleep for 24 hours, plain and simple, even though the project's not complete. I figure I can squeeze some time in to work more while getting ready for work when I get up in 1 1/2 hours. Many times, plans don't turn out the way you design them, but you move forward. I woke up so late that I bypassed going to work in the morning, but did get to class on time.

The reward for the all-nighter: a pretty positive critique, mixed in with some comments of confusion about the direction of the project and how what I babbled about while presenting ties in with my thesis and actual product, blase blase. The miracle of all this however--the fact that I didn't crash throughout the whole six hours in class. I stayed very much alert and focused. Hmm, makes me wonder if by hanging out with my way-younger classmates is actually making me younger by a process of osmosis. Or really, was it all just a dream? Did I sleep all the way through it all?

Anyway, about an hour after getting home and making a few phonecalls to Roomie and my sister in Ohio (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!), I decide to nap. I don't know how long the nap took, or if I fell asleep at all, because Jems called. We talked for about 1 1/2 hours, talking about the last 24 hours and what took place in class today. We talked about relationships with our classmates, interactions with people, and the critiques. Looking back at the convo, I probably babbled hopelessly as my mind still felt energetic from the dynamic of the all-nighter; it's a weird feeling. I don't what to do now, I didn't eat a real dinner, just a banana and cookies from Subway. I guess I'll go to sleep now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home