Friday, July 29, 2005

Sage Cleansing

So I move to a small studio apartment in Daly City at the end of May. It's very near the government center, a block behind the Post Office, and walking distance to Krispy Kreme, Val's, Lily Cafe, House of Sisig, IHOP...you get the idea.

Anyway, I've complained all along about how "ghetto" the neighborhood is, and even my neice and nephew said "You live in this dump?!" Well it's really not all that bad, but my biggest complaint is the weird energy in my unit that makes me wake up in the middle of my slumber every night. For one reason or another, I'm disturbed: get up to pee, a weird dream, hearing a sudden sound, a thought (different than a dream), anxiety, blase, blase.

So finally, after almost two months of this "agony," my coworker suggested a "sage cleansing." At this point I was so desperate to relieve myself of the problem that I dragged Bancy to the Mission to the Scarlet Sage Co. on Valencia and bought sage. This is the same lunch hour when we ate at El Farolito (delish quesadilla suiza).

That same Monday evening was when the ritual to cleanse my apartment of the weird energy occured. I really had no clue how to go about the ceremony, so I merely lit the sage and lavender, fanned it all about, hoping to get every corner, cupboard, closet space, etc., and "chanting" for the energy/spirit to leave so I can get some good sleep. I freaked out when the smoke became thick and thought that it would trigger the smoke alarm to go off. That's when I realized that Hello, open the patio door for: 1. Let the smoke take energy out of the place, and 2. Just breathe!

Don't know yet if the ritual worked, as this whole week I've incorporated a couple of things to possibly help me sleep: purchased "sleep time" lotion from Origins; started jogging again, gone to bed a little earlier, like right before midnight, hello!

So I'll give it another week or two to get a final assessment of whether my rituals really work.

10 Comments:

At 7/29/2005 10:36 AM, Blogger laragitara said...

i should try that! sage and lavender cleansing... hmmm.

 
At 7/29/2005 11:05 AM, Blogger Mur said...

I saged the house when I bought it. I heard that one of the former owners died. My first reaction was..."IN THE HOUSE?" The neighbors said no, but I wanted to make sure.

So far so good! No Moomoos!

 
At 7/29/2005 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh paul. well at least your apt will smell good.

 
At 7/29/2005 1:27 PM, Blogger bev said...

hi rpaul! welcome to blogging! :) you know, there's an el farolito in ssf right down the block from our studio where we rehearse!

 
At 7/29/2005 1:29 PM, Blogger It's just me said...

lol, i was so desperate, didn't know how to respond to your comments, but now I know how. Anyway, for like three days after the sage & lavender cleansing, everytime I walked in the door, it smelled like someone's been smokin some weed up in here!

 
At 7/29/2005 1:31 PM, Blogger It's just me said...

wait, Likha now rehearses way down in SSF? Ooh, you guys must be excited about Brazil. It's in a couple of days, yes?

 
At 7/29/2005 4:55 PM, Blogger Mur said...

Back in June, did you hear about the triple murder-suicide across from City Hall? That's where we rehearse. Bring the sage there!

 
At 7/30/2005 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pabs, i've tried saging and it works all the time. however, there are other ways to clear an area of bad vibes without the risk of asphyxiation and setting of smoke alarms, lol. look for bottled sage spray or any kind of 'environmental spray' in new age shops. highly recommended is the 'alaskan essences' product line. it's aromatherapeutic as well :)
--AuldSoul

 
At 7/30/2005 1:04 PM, Blogger It's just me said...

thanks for the tip Dja. yeah, ever since I moved in, I've lit up more candles; like every day and I actually got a bottled spray of some essences for some added "kick" to the sage...I still do pray every night right before going to "sleep."

 
At 7/31/2005 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, in Bolivia they pour "fire water" in the corners of the room to drive out the evil spirits. Got any moonshine hanging around ... that should do the trick.

Also, another way to get rid of a weird vibe is to invite people over and have a party ... it brings a lot of good energy into a place.

--A San Diego Reader ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home