Thursday, February 09, 2006

bonfire of the ocean beach

Class let out early. The air outside felt cool, crisp, clean, and utterly refreshing, especially since we couldn't manage to open any windows in the classroom, and thus it felt like a sauna up in there. The moonlight inspired me to take a night drive to Ocean Beach, and sit under the stars and hear the waves crash. I also thought the ocean air might help get rid of my cough.

LGN mentioned on my last day at work, while we lunched at Beach Chalet, that on summer nights a good number of bonfires lines up the sand on OC, so seeing it myself on a February night surprised me. It was beautiful and magical, and that's only because I viewed it from a distance. Not knowing who or what each of these people's story and their reason for bonfiring added so much allure to the evening. I thought they must be college kids getting high, or some lovers on a double date, or a parent and a kid, or _____.

I felt left out because it seemed that all the folks that hung out at the beach had at least one other person to share the moment with. There I was all alone and jealous. Flashback to every other special moment where I was alone, like the European trip at 19 years old. All the other tourists belonged to groups, or traveled with a friend. Oh how I yearned to find a partner or friend to actually do activities with. But I'm a loner by choice anyhow, but still.


This group of friends made the most of the evening...jumping over the fire with a running start. Oh the bonding. If I could just gather the people that I want to share things like this with, and they'd want to experience it also...awesome.

4 Comments:

At 2/10/2006 9:07 PM, Blogger Kurt said...

We used to be able to have bonfires all along Ocean Beach. Now it's just in the area north of Lincoln.

 
At 2/12/2006 11:47 AM, Blogger Christina said...

never been to any bonfires, but i've often smelled them while driving down the Great Highway. I always assumed the wood shipping palettes from the nearby Safeway met their demise in many beach bonfires. What do they use for firewood?

 
At 2/13/2006 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, you don't drive, so what are you talking about? ;)

I assume Paul meant OB and not OC...

 
At 2/18/2006 7:57 PM, Blogger Christina said...

we'll i didn't want to sound like i'm chauffered around all the time, but i guess technically i am! i guess i should re-phrase? while being driven down the Great Highway, I've often smelled the bonfires.

thppppt!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home