Tuesday, January 17, 2006

the farewell tour

I started my farewell tour of lunching today. The next three lunches, for the remainder of this week, were booked in advance since last week; smart move by those who wanted to secure a date before I depart from that place.

Bancy treated me to Cafe Durango last Friday, well I'm sure she felt her arm was twisted into the situation, but it's so like us to make her pay for my meal. Ahhh, will miss these lunch dates with her.

I was surprised she didn't call to ask me what I planned to do for lunch today. Just as well, she irritated me because she irritated some maintenance men who came by several times a few days before to fix the broken heater that "someone" kept complaining about but was never in her office (in her own defense: because of "meetings") to let the guys come in and do their job. My lack of eating breakfast most of last week and now seemingly this week puts me in dangerous alert of extreme moodiness and bitchiness at around 11am. So to fix all that, I confronted her right before taking off for lunch and told her to her face that she irritated me. After I got that off my chest, I let her drive me around to get lunch. What a sweetheart.

I'm sure it was my turn to irritate Bancy late in the afternoon because I didn't know how to reply to an email one of my other colleagues sent to me, asking if I was available to lunch with him and "a few others" in one of the remaining days before I leave from that place forever. So I called her phone several times reading a variation of possible diplomatic, yet heartfelt sorry responses. It's not like I can take a rain check. I wanted to include some humor to the reply with "sorry I can't lunch with y'all, but I'll just take the cash," to which she advised, "maybe not."

Anyhoo, the whole "this is my last week" hasn't sunk in yet. There's lots of work to do before I leave, so I'm a little freaked out about all of that. But freaking out about wanting to leave the work in the right hands or finishing everything defeats the purpose of me sticking it to the man. Oh I'm torn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home