Friday, January 20, 2006

so long, suckas!

My last day at work, and I knew I had tons of work ahead, things to finish up, incriminating evidence to shred, phone calls to cut ties, good-bye emails, and all the other fun stuff.

My boss "Linda" comes in my office as soon as I arrive and waits for me to get off the phone: "So what will you do the next few weeks. It'd be great if you could help us out on a temporary part-time basis, just to finish off these things that you do that no one else can do." I replied with: "I've got a lot of personal things to take care of before school starts, so I'll have to think about it."

So now you want me to stay..."now you're interested ha?! Intriggggued, even?" It's a little late, it's my last day for Pete's sake. All the exit work's gone full steam ahead. If you'd asked me to stay a few weeks ago, things may have turned out a little differently. I've made other plans already.

LGN took me and "Beef" to lunch at Beach Chalet. The gorgeous weather blessed us: nippy air, great visibility out into the ocean, the clouds cowered way in the distance, beautiful waves. My burger was delicious. Oh and dessert, called a Chocolate Sandcastle, makes me drool like Homer Simpson.

Later in the afternoon, my colleagues gave me a warm send-off with a little gathering. I always feel awkward when I'm the center of attention like that. I think some people felt genuinely sad as they said goodbye. I'm touched.

I wound up staying until 9:30pm because like I said, I had to search for and destroy any incriminating evidence against me. Shred shred shred.

It didn't feel like it's over. Perhaps it's because I'll be so close to the office almost everyday when classes begin, or even worse, that I'll somehow come back to work there. I know for sure that my phone will ring off the hook come Monday, when Noralay or Linda ask where this or that is, or how to do this, etc. Ugh, perish the thought.

As for now, I'm a free man!

1 Comments:

At 1/23/2006 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOORAY for you!!! I say that unless you specifically said "feel free to call me with questions," you ignore all calls coming from that phone number. you're right--they figured out too late that you truly ARE "indispensable!" hahahahahahahahaha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home