Sunday, July 01, 2007

but still, it reminded me of how lonely i really am

I never can say goodbye. My friend from Harbor City came to SF with two other friends. I showed them around. They stayed at Travelodge on Lombard. I met them there Tuesday afternoon. We then walked around to Chestnut Street, ate a Thai restaurant, drove to Palace of Fine Arts, some other places I don't remember. The bar scene in SF is really dead in the middle of the week. That's expected, but they kept insisting that LA is a lot busier even on weeknights. Whatever.

It's really hard for me to sleep in unfamiliar places like motels or hotels, especially if there are other people in the room besides Roomie, because I tend to get really conscious of my "violent" snoring. So I didn't get enough sleep that night.

The next day, we crossed the Golden Gate and eventually made it to Muir Woods after stopping at the vista points overlooking the bridge on the Marin side. Muir Woods, what an amazing place. Walking underneath all those redwoods had more impact on me after reading Julia Butterfly Hill's book "The Legacy of Luna," which is about her ordeal in living up in a redwood to protest the cutting down of the giant trees up in Humboldt. I actually met her at SFSU a few years ago, got her to sign my book, which I haven't read yet at that point. I just read it this past January, on the plane ride to Philippines. Anyhoo, it's majestic to visit Muir Woods, it's a totally different world, and I now understand how Julia heard her calling when she first encountered the trees...truly inspirational.

I decided to sleep at my parents' house that night, so other people could get there sleep on. Someone commented that he heard my snoring, and that was an even better excuse to not sleep at the motel anymore. So after dropping them off at 2:30am, I headed "home." We planned that I see them again the next day, but with some work I needed to finish delaying me, they went ahead and headed back home to LA. Oh, another thing, I only got about five hours sleep because my phone rang. A friend called and left a message that she "fired" me because she found someone else to work on her project for free. Well, the "firing" is just for drama, we haven't even started working on anything yet, just talks.

So I couldn't go back to sleep after the phone rang, so getting up and working was the only option. My friends decided to not wait for me anymore to show them around, and headed back already. Sadness filled me. The sadness was of course exaggerated by the tiredness. But you know how that goes. I couldn't even nap it off. Good thing my niece from Ohio was there to keep me company :)

2 Comments:

At 7/04/2007 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

on a similar note, due to my alcohol-lovin' ass, i totally didn't make it to my grandma's in time to say goodbye to an aunt who was leaving the next day. :(

 
At 7/10/2007 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you ever had a sleep study done - snoring is an indication of sleep apnea

 

Post a Comment

<< Home